Hi Everyone, @Todd White pointed out a very helpful WSJ article to me on negotiating executive compensation in today's edition: How to Negotiate and Counter a Job Offer, WSJ, 12-21. If the Dow Jones firewall prevents you from reading the article, here are a few highlights:
- Helpful to read no matter what side of the desk you are on.
- Points out some negotiating fundamentals - being prepared and knowing the market is critical.
- Focus on Total Compensation, not just base salary - there are lots of ways to skin a cat.
- Lay out all your requests at once - you don't want to be perceived as nick and diming.
- Negotiating jiu jitsu is important - don't get mad. Say thank you and nicely counter.
Interested in your thoughts/questions: